Sensei Bob Thivierge

When I was a teenager I guess I was karate crazy.




I trained two nights and Saturday with my karate teacher.  A friend of mine had karate classes two nights a week in Jewett City so I trained there also.  If we had free time we went to Chuck Merriman's school in New London and watched class.  There was a Pai Lum Kung Fu instructor in Ledyard so we checked him out.  We could not get enough karate.




In the Jewett City school, under Rusty James, I met Bob Thivierge.  He came early, stayed late and was always perfecting one technique or another.  When he received his green belt I started to notice him more because of his hard work and dedication to the school.  His teacher eventually moved on and he took over the training and became the resident Sensei.  My life had moved on with working and family but I always kept my connection with Bob.


His teacher, Rusty sponsored a small competition in Voluntown.  We got a group of Black Belts together and did point sparring under the tent one summer.  We sparred on a wood floor that was set up for dancing later that night.  Little did they know what had ahappened just hours earlier.  We had about a dozen guys show up from around the area.  Martial arts was a small culture in those days and we knew about all the schools in the area.   I sparred a Phillipino guy who showed up.  With his first move he drilled me with a front kick that knocked me out of the ring.  It was a real WOW  moment for me.  I received a second place losing to the sponsor Rusty James who was a great sparrer.

 The following year Bob took over the competition.   Kickboxing waas now the vogue and was the competition of choice.  My brother John fought and there were some great matches that day.  They all took place in the field outside the tent.  Bob fought and had an amazing match.  He was seriously tough and never backed down.  There were several bouts that day that were pretty fantastic.

The following year there was to be an upgrade.  A boxing ring was to be used for all the fights.  One of my fellow Black Belts Windy Winslow was to fight Tommy Champagne and I was to be in the main event against Bobby.  I was running 20 miles a week and training 6 days a week in karate/kickboxing and could not have been more ready.  I was in the best shape of my life.


It was the Wednesday before the fight and Windy and I had a 2 hour training session.  Our main KO technique was to be the spin backfist (it was to be our "secret" weapon).  After sparring many rounds we decided to drill it some more, with no equipment on.   An errant spin backfist knocked my front tooth loose.  It was hanging by a tiny little ligament and was almost knocked clean out of my mouth. 

I went to the dentist the next day to have him look at it.  As soon as I opened my mouth and he saw it dangling there, all he could say as his eyes popped out was, OOOOOH!

I knew it was not good.

He asked how it happened and I had to tell him, kickboxing! And then I had to tell about the big match coming up in a few days.  I spoke to him about all of my preparation and how important it was to me.  He gave me two choices.  Fight and lose the tooth (because very little was keeping it attached to my gum) or wear a tooth cast and maybe keep it.  It was both an easy and tough decision because I wanted so badly to fight.


Well, I skipped the fight and got a substitute.  Larry Kelley of Amhurst, Massachussets was the number one point fighter in New England and the country.  He is a fantastic kicker and once even knocked out Billy Blanks with a front leg hook kick.  Bobby and he went toe to toe for three rounds.  Even though I was rooting for my substitute, Bobby held his own and went the distance.  I couldn't have been prouder of him.


Bobby was a hard worker and when he got layed off he traveled to Florida by himself and had been working 7 days a week for over 6 months.  It was hard for him because his wife and children were still home but he had to work.   He finally had a day off after working like a dog all these months and went to the beach.  While body surfing a wave overtook him, flipped him upside down and the accident made him a quadraplegic.  After some hospital time he returned home to Jewett City.


His students, friends and family flocked to support him.  I remember they quickly built a ramp in anticipation of his need to make his house wheelchair accessable.  I was competing heavily around New England and had a big entourage of friends who traveled the karate circuit.  I tapped in to them to do a fundraiser for the Thivierge family to try to help them with some expenses.


It was a great turnout.  Larry Kelley, Jeff Goldberg, Steve Best, Lenny Stavrou, Gary Wilcox, Doug Peoples, Neil Hoffler, Wali Islam, Frankie Baker, Arvo Laats and many more turned out to demonstrate and pay homage to Bob Thivierge in his time of need. It was a "Who's who" of New England martial artists!


Bob stayed active teaching karate in his garage and then in a commercial school.  He affiliated with the Enshin karate group who gave him support and helped his school become a succcess.  I am sure Bob inspired many people in that group too.


I had kept in touch with Bob occasionally over the years and often thought back about the kickboxing match we were meant to have.  Maybe someday when we meet again and we can give it a go.


Sensei Bob Thivierge, through your life you continued to inspire me and I will work to pass on your P.M.A.- positive mental attitude as long as I am able.


We will miss you Sensei Bob Thivierge, you were one of the good ones.


With love and respect,


MB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jack Scott- United Karate Studio- Cookeville, TN

Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Special "K"