Know when to sit out

I just read an article with a quote by martial arts legend Dan Inosanto that struck me and is relevant as Sbn Duethorn and I have been discussing this topic.

This is for older martial artists.
“The most difficult part of your training-
at this point in your life and going forward-
will be knowing when to sit out.”

When I had my knee replaced two years ago I showed my Doctor a photo of me stomp kicking through about two feet of concrete.  I told him I would let the young Black Belts do that now.

I no longer push myself to do bear crawls and crab walks.

I have long time martial arts friends who now do Asian archery and sword practice.  I can see why.

I can still kick head high after a good warmup with no pain or distress but I don’t do explosiveness drills like I used to.  I still kick and punch but don’t go crazy.

I do miss all the tournament prep and competition.  But now, I teach, coach, mentor and enjoy the ride.

Stay training, but warm up well and don’t try to keep up with the kid standing next to you.  Just impress them that harder is not always the best way.  You are light years ahead in health, fitness and fighting capabilities than other people our age

Yes, I am 66 and still love martial arts.

MB

Comments

Mr. Powell said…
Well said and wise. Would make a good chapter topic in your book, near the end.

Popular posts from this blog

Jack Scott- United Karate Studio- Cookeville, TN

Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Special "K"