Black Belt Feedback from the Professor

There are a lot of reasons why I continue to train.

I love the respectful, positive atmosphere at the school. It's something I think the world could use a lot more of. I enjoy working with the other students and I love the way we all interact--respectfully, supportively, helping each other meet our personal challenges and goals. I've made some great friends through your school, and I enjoy the people I regularly train with, like Mrs. Harris and Mr. Huber.

There is even some fear involved (which I think is a good thing since the challenges we are given are carefully selected and related to our skill level), and being able to confront our fears (often with the help of others) is very important for a lot of different reasons (only some having to do with karate/for me they are related to life skills and developing a positive outlook on the challenges I face each day in life).

I have called on the courage I have developed at your school in all sorts of ways, most recently last summer when my father was in and out of the hospital with heart problems. There were many days during that long ordeal when I went into my heart and called up the courage that you and the school put there. It got me through some very difficult days. For that and for many other things, I wish to thank you.

I like the physical challenges as well. I love to be active and moving around, and I take great pleasure doing a kick or punch or combination well. (That doesn't happen as often as I would like, but still there are moments when I feel like I've really done something well and that makes me very happy).

I also think there are all sorts of long-term health benefits related to staying active and getting up and doing something other than watching TV. My children are old enough now so that they don't miss me all that much on the nights that I'm gone--so it's something I can do and still maintain a positive balance with other areas of my life. =:)I also enjoy being in the situation of a learner.

As a teacher, I find that very refreshing. It also reminds me what it's like to be a student, and I think it helps me be a more patient and understanding classroom teacher. Being a learner also releases me from being a teacher for a while, which I also find very refreshing. There are tremendous mental health benefits for me also. I come in and pretty much lose myself to karate for two hours twice a week. Sometimes it takes me 30 minutes (or longer) after class to even remember that I have problems to worry about.

In the rhythm of my week, my Tuesday and Thursday nights have become essential in that regard.I also feel safer walking around in the world, knowing that I at least have a chance to defend myself should an altercation arise. I think my family also feels safer. There have been many times when we've been walking around somewhere and they've said something like "Hey, we don't have to worry. We're with a black belt!" I know that to some degree they're kidding around, but on another level they're probably not (they're thinking about where we are and are worried a little bit).

On a number of occasions I know this has given them comfort and peace of mind.I also continue to train because of your great instructors, especially Mrs. Duethorn, Mr. Salisbury, and Griz. They have all been incredibly supportive, knowledgeable, and motivating.Probably the biggest reason that I continue to train is you, Mr. B. I have been to many karate schools when I was younger and didn't particularly like any of them (although I endured one for almost two years). After the first week in your school I felt like I was "home." That was literally how I felt. You are a gifted teacher in all sorts of ways: Great karate skills, excellent interpersonal skills, strong sense of humor and fun and yet you can "put the hammer" down as well. You are also an excellent motivator and an eloquent speaker. I'm also amazed by your ability to keep things "new"--we never do the same thing twice and when we come in we never really know what we might be doing. I think that keeps people fresh and on their toes.

I know that you probably wanted a shorter answer to this question, so I apologize for running on so long! Thank you for being who you are. It has been a pleasure to train with you all these years (six and counting!).Keep up the great work and see you later today!--Pat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jack Scott- United Karate Studio- Cookeville, TN

Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Special "K"