Message from my 2nd Teacher


I began training in Kyokushin karate in 1969.  These are my first two teachers.  On the left, Joe Deguzman and on the right Armando Carandang.  I was wearing a green uniform for outside summer classes.
These men began training in their homeland the Phillipines.  They were both Navy men who were stationed in New London.
prgrsvimghttp://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4825083355792572&w=207&h=207&c=8&pid=3.1&qlt=90Mr. Carandang was also a Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do and Shorinji Kenpo as well as very experienced in Arnis De Mano (Phillipine stick fighting).  Often times we would meet him at his apartment and venture down to his basement for training.  One day when we arrived he had us dress in his new kendo armor.

This was to protect us from his full power blows during sparring.  He would swing our heavy bag away from himself and as it came towards him, he would fold it in half with his side kick.  

I have stayed in touch with him although he is currently living outside Washington, D.C.

I invited him to my eight dan graduation and I wanted to share a note from him.  Thank you Sir for helping me become the Black Belt and the man I am today.
We walk on the shoulders of our teachers.


From:  Armando Carandang
To:  Mike Bogdanski

Dear Mike

I deeply regret that I'll unable to attend your promotion due to distance and my recuperation.

I am extremely fortunate to have you as a student for more than forty one years.  You are an outstanding Martial Art student, a superb sensei and above all else a good and loyal friend.  Your dedication to the Martial Art are always in the highest caliber. You have met every challenge with distinction and can look back with justifiable pride on Martial Art.

Lita and I wish you and your family every success and happiness for the future.

Sincerely and with warmest regard,

Armando Carandang

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jack Scott- United Karate Studio- Cookeville, TN

Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Special "K"