Roldan


        Roldan

Just like you might use the name "Cher", "Bono" or "Elvis, this late great martial artist is Wilfredo Roldan, martial arts Grandmaster.

His experiences and resume are a mile long and you can google him for his bio.  Here is a link that mentions just a few of his many accomplishments.

I was sad to hear of his recent passing.  He seemed perpetual to me, always full of motion, energy and, life.  I often saw his Facebook posts, photos of his seminars and travel, and often his acting gigs (usually/ always in the NYC area). To me, he was one of the greatest martial artists I have ever known.

Being lifelong friends with the famous Goju Grandmaster Chuck Merriman, I had the great privilege of spending many days with him over the years and he would share stories of many of his friends.  This day would be a personal insight to the notoriety of Roldan.

They were the pioneers in the New York City martial arts days.  They trained many days in the dojo of the unique Grandmaster, Peter Urban, and lived to tell about it.  This is the story of one night in New York.

Roldan had a unique sense of humor.  One night when they were done training they were waiting for the elevator to take them back down to the street so they could make their way home.  Roldan mentioned to Chuck,  one of these nights when we get in the freight elevator (with not much light) I will throw myself down on the floor, scream like I was falling down the shaft and make everyone have a fright, then a big laugh.

The next night a big group of the students walked toward the elevator.  Roldan ran ahead, whipped open the door and jumped in.  He made a huge scream and made sounds that made it seem real.

Only, it was.

While they were in the class someone had moved the elevator back down and Roldan did fall down the shaft and was injured with some broken limbs.  So much for the joke!

It was not long after that I attended several tournaments and got to know Roldan pretty well.  He was a great competitor and friend and we always hit it off.  One day we were competing at Charlie Ferraro's tournament and Roldan and I were lined up to do weapons forms.  I competed and then he followed.  After his performance, one of the judges asked him if he knew he had to do a traditional form.  He says "I did,  My form has a tradition of three years"!

Oh Roldan we will miss you.  Another great one gone

Mike Bogdanski



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jack Scott- United Karate Studio- Cookeville, TN

Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Special "K"